Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

In my mailbox: Budget buster edition


The InsiderThe Panic Zone (Jack Gannon)North of BeautifulIn my mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren (http://www.thestorysiren.com/) Anyone can participate in IMM and you are not limited to only sharing books that arrive via your mailbox. You can also share books that you've bought or books that you've gotten at the library. I'm not sure I'll do this every week, but this past week was a good one for me.

 For review: The Panic Zone by Rick Mofina, The Insider (via good reads) by Reece Hirsch.  Bought: North of Beautiful by Justina Headley, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, before i fall by Lauren Oliver, Blindsided by Priscilla Cummings and Lipstick Jungle by Candace Bushnell. I decided to invest a little time in the YA section of Borders. For the longest I've had a brain lock on Young Adult books, but recently my interest has gone up. I need a little perspective before I close my mind completely from the genre. I spent an hour in the YA section alone. I have to admit I was a little skeptical. Most of the books I saw were paranormal romance, and to be honest Twilight has turned me off books like that. But after a little digging, I found some books I liked. I went in the store with a $50 budget and spent $75. It was all for a good reason!! I bought Lipstick Jungle for two reasons: 1) it was only three bucks and 2) I figured one adult book would justify my other purchases!!!
Lipstick Jungle
Blindsided
Before I Fall
The Book Thief
Shiver

8 comments:

  1. I think that's great that you've decided to branch into YA fiction. YA really does have a lot more than just Twilight-esque paranormal romances... a part of YA I usually avoid, unless my favourite reviewers enjoyed it. :P Before I Fall is a great one, I hope you enjoy it. I haven't read North of Beautiful, Blindsided or Lipstick Jungle, but I've heard they're all fantastic and they're all on my TBR as well.

    The Book Thief might have to wait a few years. It's a really thick book, as far as I'm concerned. Great books this week. Happy reading!

    Check out my IMM post, if you want. :) I got a few good YA, that you should definitely check out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to check out your post. I always thought The Book Thief was an adult because it's sooooooooooooooo long! I don't know many eight-year-olds who want to read a 500 page book. Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...I dunno. I guess it is a YA, but it is quite lengthy. It should be good though, so I'd like to know what you think of it, hopefully you'll get to finishing it! Oh, and just so you know, "Rocks in the belly" is, as far as I know, a general, contemp. fiction book. I do receive a few books that aren't YA every now and then. :P It sounds really interesting though. I read the first chapter, and it sounds like it'll be a good one. It's an Australian book, but you can probably get it on Amazon if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a week! Shiver, Book Thief, and Before I Fall are all fabulous selections.
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cass: Rocks in the Belly is now on my list!!
    Alison: I saw Shiver on so many other blogs, I figured I should see what's up with the hype. I read the first chapter, and I'm pretty intrigued. The cover of Before I Fall pulled me in. For it's usually the cover that I go for first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. North of Beautiful sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess that each of us should be vigilant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knowledge sharing by book sharing make a great way to spread your knowledge to others. Gift book, library book etc will be available online and all over the world people can get benefited from this help.

    ReplyDelete