Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

It's Friday, lets hop !!

Book Blogger Hop

Every week Jennifer at Crazy-for-books hosts a blog hop. Put your link in, post a comment and you can discover a lot of great blogs. The Hop lasts Friday-Monday every week. This week's question/task: What keeps you reading beyond the first few pages of a book, and what makes you want to stop reading a book and put it back on the shelf? I am easily distracted. If I would rather be on Twitter, Facebook, Blogger and a ton of other web sites, you as an author have not done your job. If I'm doing everything to not read your book, that means your book is boring. I try not to review those books on my blog, instead I put them to the side. Good writing, a plot and good character development are a must. If you lack those, I have to give up. I know there are bad books out there, but I don't want to outright trash a book. Exley by Brock Clarke comes to mind. It was hard to follow, the narrator changed several times, and I couldn't follow the timeline. I just gave up on that book. Before I started blogging, I would torture myself and finish a bad book. But after some time in the blogging world, I realized that I don't have to do that.

Here are some blogs I came across:

9 comments:

  1. I also don't keep at a book that doesn't grab me and I don't review books that I don't finish.
    Have a good weekend
    Lauren's Hop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. If the book doesn't grab then it goes in the "meh" pile. Although I am always a little sad when this happens...

    ♥ Trish My FF & BH Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like to outright trash books either, so I just quietly stop reading them and don't mention them on the blog!

    Anja @ http://reading2011.blogspot.com/2011/07/book-blogger-hopfollow-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. A book will usually get a mention from me too. I always talk about the covers of the books I'm reading. That's got to count as some form of promotion, even if I didn't like a book

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has to be intriguing. I am reading one right not that I am not sure about. It just seems a little weird. 50 % possiblity that I won't finish it. Love those page turner books that you hate to put down

    CarolNWong(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping through. I definitely think a book has to be well written. And easy to follow. I don't want to be too confused.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by via Crazy-For-Book's Blog Hop. I'm following your blog.

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog this weekend so please stop by!

    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka
    www.pedanticphooka.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you; nowadays you pretty much won't see two star books on my blog; definitely not one star books. Reading a bad book is like torture for me; and even if it's a review book, I simply won't keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. NEW FOLLOWER....GREAT BLOG.

    I give the book at least 50-100 pages before I put it down, but I usually don't. :)

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    I have a giveaway going on at my blog for NIGHT TRAIN...stop by if you like.

    ReplyDelete