Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Best of 2011: Books

I've read a lot of books this year, some good and some bad. These are the books that stood out to me the most.


1. Faith by Jennifer Haigh: I loved this one. It's a take on the priest abuse scandals in Boston. It made me sad and mad at the same time. The main character didn't fight for himself as much as I thought he should.


2. Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson: I seriously can't wait until this one is made into a movie. A woman wakes up every day not knowing who she is. Her husband is forced to remind her of her past. The ending is extremely creepy!!


3. When She Woke by Hillary Jordan: A dystopian society where "criminals" are branded by color. The woman in this book had an abortion and was branded red.


4. Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones: Having a father who is a bigamist isn't what everyone dreams of. But that's what two girls are faced with in Silver Sparrow.


5. Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips: I read several romance novels this year, but this one was my favorite. It was very addictive. At times, I was speedreading just to get to the next chapter.


6. Wicked Bugs by Amy Stewart: Who knew a book about bugs could be so good? It's funny and informative.


7. Coming up for Air by Patti Callahan Henry: I love family dramas. The death of Ellie's mom forces Ellie to re-examine her life. 


8. Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer: The ending for this one just wasn't fair. I believe this one is supposed to be a five-part series. I really can't wait for the next one.

Honorable mention: Jane Fonda by Patricia Bosworth (yes I'm still reading this one, but it is very well researched); Elizabeth and Hazel by David Margolick (ditto!!); Until there was You by Kristan Higgins (her books are awesome); Wherever you go by Joan Leegant (it's always good to learn about other cultures); and Pictures of You by Caroline Leavitt (learning how to forgive isn't easy).

2 comments:

  1. Faith was also one of my favorites; I haven't read the others on your list, so I need to get to Before I Go To Sleep and When She Woke. Ha, which is funny in that order since they're not connected at all, huh? (Long day for me!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I Go to Sleep and When She Woke are definitely creepy. They're both worth a read.

    ReplyDelete