Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

It's Monday, what's on the cover?


It's been a while since I've done this. I'm still having laptop issues, so my posting will be infrequent. But, it's Monday, so what's on the cover. Lets start with Pure by Julianna Baggott. I wasn't sure what to make of this cover until I started reading it. Took a couple of looks before I realized that is a dome on the cover. I think the butterfly is either trying to get in or get out. Either way the world depicted in this book can't be good can it? Basically a big explosion has destroyed most of the world. Those lucky enough to be in the dome before the incident are called "Pures." If you were outside the dome and survived, some pretty freaky stuff is going on outside. I don't want to give it away yet.  I want to finish the book before I pass judgment, so stay tuned.


There is nothing freaky going on with Outside the Lines by Amy Hatvany. It's a contemporary story. It's a welcome change from all the weirdness in Pure. Nice snapshot on that cover. A young girl on the shoulders of her father. A time of innocence for both of them. The main character in this book is searching for her mentally ill father after years of estrangement. She wants to hold onto the good memories despite her mother wanting her to move on. I'm a sucker for family dramas.


Take that cover literally. The cover of Losing Clementine by Ashley Ream is very blunt. Clementine is planning her suicide. The book starts 30 days before her planned demise. I'm not finished with it, so I hope Clementine doesn't take her life. If I go by the cover, maybe Clementine is just teetering on the edge and is waiting for someone to pull her back. In the first few pages we learn Clementine has gone off her medication, and is thinking "clearly" for the first time in a long time. I really hope someone pulls her back before the end of the book.


Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron takes place in Africa. It's been a while since I read a book set in Africa. It's set in Rwanda during the uprising between the Hutus and the Tutsis. A young boy wants to use his gift for running to lift his family out of their violent community. The trail on the cover looks infinite. It sounds like a simple task to a young mind, but it's harder than he thinks.


Yes I'm reading a lot these days. I want to have a big selection because sometimes I don't want to read the same book every day. Unscripted by Natalie Aaron and Marla Schwartz isn't as serious as my other selections, but so far it's engrossing. Abby trying to work her way up the television ladder. It's not without bumps, some of them very funny. Judging from that cover, Abby is about to engage in a little romance!!

No comments:

Post a Comment