Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

Tales from a graduate student


Don't worry grad school isn't that bad. Actually it's going quite well. It's been eight years since I finished college. I was so sure I would never go back. I got an internship right after graduation. That internship turned into a full-time job. I worked as a newspaper copy editor and page designer for seven years. In the beginning, it was great to be employed. Towards the end I was just hoping to not fall victim to layoffs. While it was a shock to be laid off last December, it was a blessing in disguise. Don't get me wrong, the night I found out, I was extremely pissed. No one wants to leave a job without having another in place. But after I calmed down, I realized it was time for me to do something else. It was time to see what else I could do.

I have always loved books. I started this blog because I love books and I desired a more creative outlet. Working as an editor or a designer for a book publisher would be a dream job. Now that I'm in graduate school, that dream is closer to becoming a reality.

I got into graduate school (I'm not telling you which one, you never know with stalkers out there!!) in the spring. As September approached, I started getting nervous. Leading up to my first class, my head was a jumble of thoughts. Can I handle the work load? What if everyone knows more than I do? I'm not a big fan of the shift towards digital publishing. I love the physical book. Can I adapt with this changing landscape? Is it worth it to get into debt? After one week, I think the jury is still out on most of those questions. Outside of my finance class, the work isn't as daunting as I thought. Why do I single out the finance class? Math has never been my strength, and that goes way back to elementary school!! I'm also an intern at a literary agency. The internship is unpaid, but I don't think you can put a price on the experience. I want to soak up as much information as possible.

Hopefully, I will ring in 2013 with a full-time job.

I wish I could post as often as I did in the past, but that's just not possible. I'm still reading, but I have to put more energy into my school work than my blog. Don't worry publicists and authors, I will still honor all reviews with a set date. Hang in there with me!! Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment