Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Hey it's Monday, What's on the Cover?

Gar Fish & Long Gravy: Memoirs of Southern Sensibility           By Fire, By Water

Happy Monday everyone!! Today's the day when I talk about the covers of books I will be reading next. Reviews of Buffalo Unbound, You Already Know how to be Great and Everything I Never Wanted to be will be coming in the next two weeks.

On to the business at hand. Gar Fish & Long Gravy: Memoirs of Southern Sensibility by Alexander Devereux is a collection of stories about love, life and the mistakes we make. Devereux used stories from his own life and his rise from poverty. That's a lot to pack in such a small book. But the cover looks so light and cheerful. Doesn't that fish look good, something that would go good over grits!

By Fire, By Water by Mitchell James Kaplan will take me back to 15th century Spain. It's been a while since I've read a historical novel. I could always learn more. The woman on the cover looks like something is weighing heavily on her mind. Family strife? Marital strife? Social? Religious? We shall see! Happy reading everyone!


Notes: I'm still taking entries for What's Up Tweeps?!. I know I set a Nov. 14 deadline, but I'm extending the deadline until Friday. The giveaway for Buffalo Gal and Buffalo Unbound is open until Nov. 17. Check out the links at the top of the page for details.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVED By Fire, By Water -- I hope you like it, too! I found the story so easily and wonderfully told, and the events that the characters go through are sometimes so devastating. I couldn't gush enough about it when I wrote up my review! It definitely made me more open to historical fiction again! Looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Then it was a good thing I said yes to the pitch e-mail. Sometimes with historical fiction I worry that I need a textbook to keep up. But lately, I've been presently surprised.

    ReplyDelete