Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Blog Q&A with Vincent Zandri


Here are a few questions I had for Vincent Zandri author of The Remains:

1. What's with the fascination with To Kill a Mockingbird? Especially the references to Boo Radley. Was that book part of your inspiration for the Remains? TKM was definitely an inspiration. I love the idea of some entirely misunderstood human being who is sometimes perceived almost innocently by a child as a monster, as being a real hero. Of course I don't want to spoil anything, but the real-life Francis Scarmuzzi, whom the fictional Francis is based on, was very much like that to me as a child. He was someone you sort of stayed away from. Only later on did we find out that he was a very gifted artist.

2. Was there any particular case that also inspired the book? Not really. Which is unusual for me as an author. All my goods going all the way back to the original As Catch Can (Now republished by StoneGate ink as The Innocent), deal with real cases that either took place in Albany or close to it. But in the case of The Remains, I made the whole thing up.

3. Why have Whelan speak in rhyme? To make his character more interesting, and indeed, psychotic. Or, for lack of a better word, to make him more creepy!


4. In three words how would you describe your book? Suspenseful, Thrilling, Inspirational!

No comments:

Post a Comment