Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

What's on the cover?

The Girl Who Fell from the SkySweet Dates in Basra: A Novel  

I'm still reading We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. Shriver might take me a while because I want to make sure I absorb as much as possible. We've already talked about that cover so let's switch gears. This week I'm trying something different. It's been a long time since I read three books at once. I used to think three at once was too much, but that's because the last time I did it I was in college. After reading thick textbooks, who wants to read more books for pleasure? But with so much reading material right now, I decided it's time to kick it up a notch.

I came across The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow while browsing the Algonquin catalog. I was flipping through the catalog aimlessly. The cover on this one got my attention. Algonquin books was kind enough to send me a copy. A girl was falling from the sky on this cover. The title had me thinking it was a metaphor for a larger issue plaguing the main character, Rachel Morse. Rachel is of mixed race, so perhaps she's trying to find her place in society. But after delving deeper into the book, the title has also taken on a literal meaning. I am more than halfway through, so I hope to have a review up by Wednesday or Thursday.

I saw a review of Sweet Dates in Basra by Jessica Jiji on another blog (sorry I can't remember where??). The description sounded pretty good to me, a love story set in Iraq during the World War II. Thanks to the kind folks at Avon I was able to get a review copy. The cover is equally compelling. All you see is a mysterious pair of eyes peeking out. The eyes are definitely female. Those eyes are holding some kind of secret or possibly she's trying to tempt someone with her eyes. Since I'm a few chapters in, I think those eyes want freedom more than temptation. Those eyes have a story to tell!! Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment